the narrator

I am only a little melancholic, a little bit sick of the world, but isn’t everyone like this?

If you feel that I am unfamiliar in a crowd, do not be surprised, that is not the real me

I am still the person you know from before.

by Jimmy Liao

the story

June 2004
August 2004
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
April 2007
May 2007
August 2007
September 2007
January 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
May 2012
June 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
January 2014
February 2014
June 2014
September 2014
January 2015
April 2015
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016

the creator

blogger
blogskins
brushes: x
lyrics: big city life by mattafix
#id10tdoc;

Monday, May 13, 2013

WARNING: this is a rant.

Yes, I am also concerned with the process of the elections. I agree that illegal tactics have been used to gain advantage. I do know that gerrymandering is a problem. I understand why people are frustrated and upset with the outcome.

But what I am irritated by is people who react as though this problem is somehow unique to Malaysia and then self-righteously lecture me about it. I mean, I just cannot take it lying down after having sat through all those years of political theory and jurisprudence classes... Even if I could only construct a one-sided debate as a rant on my blog. 

Okay here goes...*deep breaths* 

One: Winning the popular vote does NOT mean that you AUTOMATICALLY have the right to form government.

Yes I know getting the popular vote and not forming government sounds unfair ("Why shouldn't it be what the majority of people decide?"), but that's just not the way it works.

Why? Because we are not a pure direct democracy (hardly anyone is nowadays). And for good reason too - governing by popular vote alone means that the minority will easily become subject to the wishes of the majority. As any good jurisprudence student will dutifully tell you, straight up majority rule can quickly descend into "tyranny of the majority". 

Plus it's not really workable in modern day systems of representative democracy. If you want straight up direct democracy why do we even need to elect representatives? Might as well do away with the electoral constituency altogether. But surely no one is suggesting a return to the 'good ol' assembly days of Athens...?

Two: The election results really are NOT so outrageous that they are beyond belief

Ok let me give you an example:

In the 2005 UK general elections, the Labour party won parliamentary majority with 55% of the seats. And what share of the popular vote did they get? Approximately 35%. 

Compare that to Malaysia's recent election results - BN has parliamentary majority with roughly 60% of seats, and got about 47% of the popular vote. So statistically speaking the result is not entirely so ridiculous that it is inconceivable and cannot be justified and MUST be overturned.

Oh and that reminds me, in the Bush/Gore US presidential elections, it was Al Gore who won the popular vote... but guess who became president?
 
So coming back to the point:

I'm not saying it's not a problem nor am I trying to justify the outcome. I am just saying DO SOME RESEARCH before giving me a pseudo-history lesson.

Three: NOT everyone who votes for BN is 'crazy', 'unenlightened', 'imbecile'

People are well within their rights to vote for a party that will protect their own interests. Ideal as though it may be, no one is under any duty to vote for the good of the country, for the good of the majority, least of all for the good of other people.  

Many people will vote for what they think will be best for themselves. I honestly do not think there is anything wrong with that.

I could go into whole expositions about political individualism and collectivist schools of thought but I won't because I am almost 100% sure that was not what was on your mind and would therefore be a waste of words...

Four: There is no US against THEM

Identity is not a fixed concept - people continually define and redefine themselves depending on what boundaries are drawn. So depending on which demographic factor you choose (age, race, religion, gender, class, education level, marital status etc.), you might sometimes be in the majority, sometimes be in the minority. A big part of politics is to pick the factors that matters to people the most, the ones with which they identify by strongly and can easily be galvanised by.  

Which is why in the recent elections race became a bigger issue than class. Arguably the results can be better explained by class rather than race differences, but the latter gets more attention because race identity is ingrained in the Malaysian psyche, whereas class identity is still nascent. And these are just 2 of the most obvious factors - I mean, no one bothers to breakdown the results by gender/marital status because they are just not seen as politically significant, but what of other more invisible factors that might have been at play?

So there is no need to go around accusing 'kampung Malays' of not knowing better, or 'rich spoiled brats' who only know how to suck off the spoons of privilege. You simply cannot know the reasons why people voted one way or the other, or what identity factor might have been at play the day they cast their votes into the ballet box.

Conclusion

Again, you are entitled to have your opinions. 

But why don't you also sit through a whole freaking year of tutorials in Law, Democracy and Citizenship taken by Professor Neil Walker, Regius Professor of Public Law and the Law of Nature and Nations at the University of Edinburgh before you even start telling me about them.

*Exhale...*

..signing off..

0 dropped by