Saturday, March 10, 2012
It seems slightly surreal somehow, that 2 Fridays ago, I was frantically writing an email of advice on 3 separate swap agreements but this week, I landed smack bang in what promises to be the biggest embezzlement case of the year.
So for the next 3 months, my life will be tracing cash flows through shell companies and bank accounts in multiple jurisdictions, taking witness statements and drafting affidavits, having endless meetings and cups of coffees with a tightly-knit team of partners, associates, paralegals who had been on the case for years, anticipating the next moves of a defendant on the run... Litigation - probably the closest to what people imagine when they think of lawyers and the law.
And I love it - or at least, I'm glad for the change.
I do worry about whether I can stay put in one place without feeling an urge to escape everything, start over. I can't help but feel that change, any change, is a good thing no matter where it leads. I would hate to one day arrive at a place of equilibrium, so perfect, so balanced that it affords no room for disturbance. That, for me, would be the vision of purgatory.
Which is also why, in a fit of "I want change"-ness (a.k.a. blatant insanity), I've said yes to going on a 20-mile walk tomorrow with a guy I hardly know.
At least I can console myself with the fact that it is going to be a very interesting day indeed.
..signing off..
4 dropped by