the narrator

I am only a little melancholic, a little bit sick of the world, but isn’t everyone like this?

If you feel that I am unfamiliar in a crowd, do not be surprised, that is not the real me

I am still the person you know from before.

by Jimmy Liao

the story

June 2004
August 2004
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
April 2007
May 2007
August 2007
September 2007
January 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
May 2012
June 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
January 2014
February 2014
June 2014
September 2014
January 2015
April 2015
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016

the creator

blogger
blogskins
brushes: x
lyrics: big city life by mattafix
#id10tdoc;

Saturday, January 07, 2012

At Wild & Wood. The tiny cafe was full, so the barrista offered me a seat at at the "bar counter".

I confess to being completely unable to ignore an independent cafe when I walk past it.

I don't know what it is about them that draws me like a magnet - the smell of proper coffee? the smiles on the faces of the people inside? the frightful weather outside? nostalgia for good ol' times previously spent in similar cafes? the opportunity to feel good about myself not being one among the pedestrian millions who frequent starbucks/costa/nero/other equally uninspiring chains?

Whatever it is, I find myself utterly spoilt for choice in London. So many alleyways hiding secret cafes, so many talented barristas offering magic in a cup, so many floor-to-ceiling windows with excellent opportunities for people-watching, so many comfy sofas promising quiet afternoons with a book...

so little time.


A typical Saturday -
1. Hip-hop dance with the energetic and effortlessly cool Xavier at Pineapple Studios (a legacy of my Melbourne adventures with Sue-Anne).

2. Light lunch at Moolis (roti rolls bursting with fillings such as "goan pork and pomegranate salsa" and "keralan beef and coconut") or Koya (they pretty much serve plain udon, but it is such excellent plain udon that I don't even mind paying 10 pounds for what is essentially plain udon).

3. Wandering around the bustling and unfailingly "cool" vicinity that is Soho / Covent Garden / Fitzrovia / Bloomsbury / Holborn.

4. Visiting the Oxfam second-hand book shop near the British Museum (the people who stock it must have extremely similar reading tastes to me, as I've managed to find something every time I go in).

5. Coffee at a random cafe (newest discovery today is Wild & Wood, the above-mentioned tiny cafe run by an omnipotent barrista/waitress/cashiers/dish-washer/everything, and the cafe at Foyles, a bookshop that in the past was "famed for its anachronistic, eccentric and sometimes infuriating business practices, so much that they made it a tourist attraction", hiding in what appears to be an office building but with excellent views of Charring Cross Road and doubling as a jazz bar at night).

I'd very much like to sleep in and lie in bed all day on weekends, but when London has so much to offer, I simply can't pass it up.

To many more dance/food/books/coffee-filled weekends to come - that is my toast and sincerest wish for the new year.

..signing off..

0 dropped by