Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What I walk past on the way to work..

...in my suit, everyday.
The "Occupy Wall Street" movement must have extended its definition of "Wall Street" by a quantum geographical leap.
On Monday, I returned from my week-long vacation to Malaysia and Melbourne to find my path to work blocked by a congregation of... tents. Yes, this is part of the "Occupy Wall Street" (or so they say) movement who has *ahem* decamped to St Paul's Cathedral in front of Fleet Street, London.
What began as a mere curiosity on Monday took a more serious turn on Tuesday, when a grey-bearded old man smilingly waved a cardboard sign at me. He looked very friendly, so I smiled back. On closer inspection, the sign read "Bankers Welcome".
I shall leave my expression to your imagination.
Really, I suppose I am the "target" of these protests, one of the many so-called cronies of capitalism. But I don't know what reaction I can give to the peaceful, smiling protesters who genuinely look like they are having a good time.
I can neither defend nor decry capitalism.
I am neither proud of it nor am I ashamed.
All I know is that I am part of it, and for better or for worse,
cannot imagine a world without it.
..signing off..
2 dropped by