10:12pm on a Tuesday night.
I find myself sitting by the window, headphones blaring, alternating between blogging and re-drafting a lease. Outside, the night is dark and the wind is howling furiously. It's a wonder I get anything done.
The lease - not for work of course - just a writing exercise, because heaven forbid that we do something as mundane as leases.
Alarming anecdote:
Lecturer: "Let's say your client is in a contractual dispute, involving something like £100,000 ..."
Lecturer: * pauses for a while, then backtracks* ... Not that your client will actually come to you for such a thing, of course, because the legal costs you're going to charge will be so much more than that."
Me: *jaw drops*... really?
Yup, this is why we don't do leases - because we'll probably bankrupt the lessor/lessee.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Day 2 of "official work" and I don't know what to say.
Basically, all I've done is set up my computer / outlook email / voicemail / blackberry / time-recording software and respond to the countless emails that pop up in my inbox. Being so "wired" to technology, there really is no excuse for missing/ignoring anything.
Drat it.
Good news is that my PA (yes, I have a PA ;D) is lovely, the paralegal team is probably much more competent than me in researching, the in-house courier/post service takes care of everything from internal mail to DX to hand deliveries to international courier so I don't need to do mail runs, the night support staff stays as late as the lawyers do, my supervisor gives me money to buy coffee for him and for myself, my fellow trainees are super-friendly, no one has yet yelled at me for messing things up (*touch wood x 3*).
All in all, surely not a bad start?