Thursday, December 02, 2010
"I don't have a problem with parting and saying goodbye, I just don't like being the one left behind."
December.
It's that time of the year where one by one, people around me pack up their life and belongings, and disappear into various areas of the globe - to their homes and homes away from home. The air is thick with 'goodbyes', promises to 'write' and 'keep in touch' ringing in our ears. Friendship groups broken and regrouped, friends made and forgotten.
All very well for the 'leavers' - those lucky ones who get to start afresh in a completely different place, to start a completely different life, precious memories guiding them forward.
But what of the 'left behind' - those unfortunate ones who are left to pick up the pieces, fill the emptiness left by the absence of people who had once occupied our lives, thoughts, minds?
I thoroughly dislike this imbalance when people who have converged their lives are forced to disentangle them again. It seems unfair somehow.
And that is why I would always prefer to be the one to say goodbye, the one to start anew, the one to leave behind.
..signing off..
0 dropped by