ALTERNATIVE TITLE:
For Yvonne, for when she needs a break from Milduran realities :)
Seen at a shop selling pots and pans in the town of St. Andrews
As with many (most?) other single un-attached attractive females out there, I have an antagonistic relationship with the
dreaded Valentine's Day. On one hand is the gleeful opportunity to scorn the sugary, syrupy insicerity dripping from department store-bought cards and pre-packaged mass-produced chocolate boxes. On the other hand, however... the prospect of being diagnosed with
sour grapes syndrome is enough to send me into a psychopathic teeth-gnashing fury.
This year's V-Day passed by rather pleasantly though, despite having ZERO traces of romance in it. My Japanese teacher,
Noriko sensei, invited us to her in-laws' house to celebrate
Hina Matsuri - a traditional dolls/daughters festival. After meeting up with
Nozomi and hurriedly grabbing a few boxes of
Ferrero Rocher from Tesco's (thoughtful, aren't I?), I somehow made my way to the correct destination.
Oops, where's this?
Yeah we got lost... somethings never change.The dolls were tricky to set up. First, we had to assemble the shelves on which they stand, and then figure out all the little trinkets and dresses that go with each doll. Great fun, with fits of frustration when we couldn't find
the cow that was supposed to drag the tiny wooden carriage, and hilarious moments when we realised we'd put the groom's hat on one of the musicians, or a
ccidentally stuck an arrow in the maidservant.
Hmm, is this thing even going to stand?
Hat's on!
The set-up in various stages of completion.
Wooooo... looking good!After about
2 hours (it shouldn't have taken this long, except that we kept getting 'distracted' by food and fits of photo-taking/camwhoring), the
entire ensemble was beautifully assembled, and we stood back to admire our handiwork - and of course, to indulge in more insane photography.
All the brilliant people.... that apparently don't have anything to do on V-Day.
As a reward, we held a
FOOD PARTY.
Noriko sensei had prepared lots of food and wine, and we proceeded to gorge ourselves for the next... uh, 4 hours or so.
I'm just here for the food *cough*
Yes, I realised this post ended up having nothing to do with
Valentine's Day at all, aside from the
predominance of red - red cloth, red kimono, red clothes that people are wearing.
BUT I DID GET A VALENTINE OK!
Ladies and gentlemen, ta-daaaaaa~~~~
Here it is!
It was from this beautiful girl (^^)v Hats off to Nozomi!She made the chocolate herself, and it took her several attempts (and blocks of wasted burnt chocolate) to get it right. OF COURSE, it was delicious!
It even says "I love you" xD
Needless to say,
I feel lurrrrrrrrved. DO you?