One bright sunny day, friends (whom I have not seen for a year or so) and I thronged into a busy little cinema with other happy movie-goers to watch The Dark Knight... and 152 minutes later, walked out disturbed, downcast, and downright depressed.Scary Thought Number 1 - JokerAs the last scenes of the movie fades away, with our long-suffering vigilante Batman hunted, condemned, and chased by dogs ('Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now'), so did all my faith in humanity. (I'm sorry, that faith wasn't all that strong in the first place, so it's quite easily destroyed).
'Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak! Like me! They need you right now. When they don't... They'll cast you out. Like a leper. See, their morals, their code... It's a bad joke. They're dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show ya. When the chips are down, these, uh.. these ... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster; I'm just ahead of the curve.'
Scary Thought Number 2 - Joker
'Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. You know what I noticed? Nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I tell the press that like a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all, part of the plan. But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!'
Scary Thought Number 3 - Two-Face
'You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time. But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance... Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair.'
Scary Thought Number 4 - Alfred
'Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.' (!!!)