the narrator

I am only a little melancholic, a little bit sick of the world, but isn’t everyone like this?

If you feel that I am unfamiliar in a crowd, do not be surprised, that is not the real me

I am still the person you know from before.

by Jimmy Liao

the story

June 2004
August 2004
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
April 2007
May 2007
August 2007
September 2007
January 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
May 2012
June 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
January 2014
February 2014
June 2014
September 2014
January 2015
April 2015
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016

the creator

blogger
blogskins
brushes: x
lyrics: big city life by mattafix
#id10tdoc;

Monday, March 06, 2006

Wrote this some weeks ago...forgot to post...

Finally in International House (IH for short) and everything is so different!

For starters, orientation week (o-week for short) is pretty full-on, what with the crazy dancing and the silly chants (“You live in a donut! You live in a donut! You live in a doNUUTTTTTTT!!!) and the late night parties and all. Went to bad well past midnight for 3 days straight and I can’t even think properly now…yawn.

~*Saturday*~

Was sent to IH by Mom and Uncle for the enrolment, and they left after lunch while we ‘freshers’ were all herded in front of a giant inflatable human foosball…err…thing. After a couple of entertaining sessions, we split into little groups (Mine’s ‘Confooscious’) each headed by an o-weeker and proceeded to ice-breakers. Unraveling human knots is sooooooo much fun! But the biggie is yet to follow

Fast forward to 11p.m. – ROOM CRAM!!!!

What this rather strange and unusual activity entails is this: 100 + freshers being shut into a tiny tiny room (with all doors and windows closed) and being made to yell weirded chants at the top of their voices (and occasionally being squirted by water guns). It lasted a full hour, and about 20 minutes in rivulets of sweat were running down everyone’s forehead. Some people dripped sweat, some flicked sweat on other poor people…The aim was to get the room and walls covered with sweat! Very gross if you think about it, but after it became clear that there was no escape, I just gave up and gave it a go. And you know what? It was great!!!

~*Sunday*~

Whole morning of seminars…blah…then we went shopping! Somehow all of us managed to fit onto a single tram and off we headed to ‘Savers’ at Barkley Square. It was stocked with some of the ugliest and most outrageous outfits I’ve ever seen! The aim was to create and outfit of the poorest taste possible, in preparation for POOR TASTE PARTAY!!!

Party night. Everyone turned up looking gorgeously ugly, and all had heaps of fun. The party lasted 4 hours, with dancing and talking being the main objective. My feet hurt after 3 hours of straight dancing and my throat was parched, but it was totally awesome.

~*Monday*~

Skipped some IH activities to go to Uni and when I got back it was about time for dinner. After dinner - yes you guessed it - another party!

This time, instead of wearing shockingly hideous outfits, we all dug out our cocktail dresses, put on make-up, and endeavored to look as nice as possible (all the more important after the embarrassment of last night). Funny how everyone seems older in formal wear.

At first it was just talking. Then it was talking. And then more talking. Just when I decided that it was too boring and attempted to leave, the music pumped up! And of course I stayed…until midnight…again.

~*Tuesday*~
Uni host programme ~

Met heaps of people in my course, which is pretty great. Shamim’s also in my group, but we probably won’t be in the same stream because there are 12 different ones (I think).

To my surprise, I met no one from Tintern! Come on, I mean, how is that possible?

Tuesday afternoon and I’m pretty dead, severely lacking in sleep and having taken a 2-hour long English diagnostic test, completely stuffed. And just to make it worse, my muscles were so sore they absolutely killed.

Went back to IH and got the shock of my life – disgustingly runny brown stuff covered the pavements, and it was rank! Turned out that the rest of the unlucky freshers just went through a particularly tough initiation…hehe.

At night, another party: The Bush Dance.

We had a live band that doubled as dance instructor and it was absolutely rockin’. People stomped, twisted, leapt, skipped, and flew all around the place, and the whole event went on for 1 ½ hour longer than expected.

So once again, I’m tired.

..signing off..

0 dropped by