the narrator

I am only a little melancholic, a little bit sick of the world, but isn’t everyone like this?

If you feel that I am unfamiliar in a crowd, do not be surprised, that is not the real me

I am still the person you know from before.

by Jimmy Liao

the story

June 2004
August 2004
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
April 2007
May 2007
August 2007
September 2007
January 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
May 2012
June 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
January 2014
February 2014
June 2014
September 2014
January 2015
April 2015
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016

the creator

blogger
blogskins
brushes: x
lyrics: big city life by mattafix
#id10tdoc;

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

*~Happy Chinese New Year~*

So, how was CNY this year for everybody, in town or overseas?

I got to spend New Year with my family here in Malaysia, which is totally awesome. All the preparations get on my nerves though, what with rushing to over-crowded, often-rainy Chinatown to buy wax ducks (literally) and all. Mom assured me though, that all this frantic shopping is the best part of New Year. Well, my soaking wet jeans and I beg to differ...

Managing to convince my 2 school-crazy bros to skip 1 1/2 days of school (I mean, who on earth looks so unhappy when told "don't go to school, it doesn't matter"?) so that we can beat the traffic, we zipped from Singapore to Mantin (N.Sembilan) as fast as we dared.

Grandma's house was in need of decoration, so we tried everything we could to make it as...err...red as possible. (Pre-made decorations are a God-send!) After the initial rush, then comes...nothing. My brothers and I played chess. Hmm. Wow. How exciting.

As it gets closer to the big moment, the house starts to fill up with relatives of all shapes and sizes. Familiar people, total strangers, ex-familiar people who have changed so much they look like total strangers...Maybe next time I should arm myself with an extremely detailed family tree.

10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3......2......1!!!!!!!!!

Bang bang bang bang banggetty BOOM! - Resurrection of the firecrackers. It sounded all through the night even though the government passed a law BANNING those noisy bangers. It is reported that the police would rush to the area where they hear even the tiniest bang and arrest the culprit. Well, so far, no flashing blue and red lights have appeared. So much for efficient policework. (Not that I'm complaining - what's CNY without firecrackers?)

And who can fail to mention the food? We opted to have seafood this year, so seafood we had indeed. Fish, fishballs, fishballs stuffed with veggies, fish noodles, squid, sea cucumber, prawns, and I've missed out heaps more. Ah well, at least it's all less fattening than the roasted pig/chicken/duck etc. that we used to have.

The angpao factor is also the main reason why I love CNY, hehe. The traditional ritual of giving money inside red packets to children (and other not so young singles) is a pain for married adults but a great opportunity for young-uns to replenish their wallets.

And since red is supposedly auspicious, it is only fitting that this entry be RED!!!

Woof!

..signing off..

0 dropped by